Cylinder Honing Services
Honing ensures the cylinder bore meets standards set by the ring supplier and OEM standards. This means that your cylinder will have a tight seal and perform well in any area. Hot spots in your cylinder can cause bore distortion which can happen at different spots and rates. This is why we take many measurements with our tools to determine if you need honing.
Below is a list of what we look for when deciding whether your cylinder needs to be honed:
- A taper in the bore: This causes the rings to flex in and out as they slide in the cylinders. Over time this can lead to metal fatigue and ring breakage.
- A hatching angle that is not 45º: The angle of cross hatching in your cylinder can’t be too flat. If this is the case, it can hold excess oil. This causes thicker oil films on your cylinder and causes the piston rings to hydroplane, using extra oil over time.
- Poor bore shape: The roundness, straightness, and form of the bore affects the function of the cylinder. If the bore isn’t perfectly round or straight, it could reduce performance and cause premature wear and tear.
If we notice these with your cylinder, we perform honing services to ensure your cylinder is in working condition.
Our Honing Capabilities
Our team is well-acquainted with all sizes and types of cylinders. No matter the size, every cylinder honing job will be done correctly and efficiently.
In addition to our skilled team, we also have a honing machine that allows us to:
- Hone cylinders up to 42′ in length and 18″ in bore.
- Finish to as low as 4Ra.
- Work on steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and bronze.
Select Fluid Power’s honing services follows ISO standards for calibration. This is to ensure you’re receiving the quality and service you need for your business. Our services are ISO:9001 and ISO:14001 certified. We provide you with the same quality every time no matter the size of the cylinder.
Quick Turnaround Time
Our honing services are available 7 days a week. We want to ensure that every job is completed quickly, reducing costly downtime. Save time and money with our full selection of in-house repairs from start to finish.
Contact our team today to see how we can provide effective solutions for all your hydraulic cylinder repair needs.