Cylinder Honing Services
Honing ensures the cylinder bore meets requirements set by the ring manufacturer and general OEM standards. This means that your cylinder will have a tight seal and perform optimally in any given environment. Hot spots in your cylinder can cause bore distortion which can happen at different spots at different rates. This is why we take multiple measurements with our calibrated tools to determine if you need honing.
Below is a list of what we look for when determining whether your cylinder needs to be honed:
- A taper in the bore: This will cause the rings to flex in and out as the rinds slide up and down in the cylinders. Over time this can lead to metal fatigue and ring breakage.
- A hatching angle that is not 45º: If the angle of cross hatching in your cylinder is too flat, it can hold excess oil. This causes thicker oil films on your cylinder and causes the piston rings to hydroplane, using extra oil over time.
- Poor bore geometry: The roundness, straightness, and form of the bore affects the function of the cylinder. If the bore isn’t perfectly rounded or straight, it could reduce performance and cause premature wear and tear.
If we notice any of these aspects with your cylinder, we perform our honing services to ensure your cylinder bore is in optimal condition.
Our Honing Experience and Capabilities
Our team of experienced technicians are well-acquainted with all sizes and types of cylinder. Regardless of the size of the job, you can be confident every cylinder honing job will be done correctly and efficiently.
In addition to our skilled team, we also have a honing machine that allows us to:
- Hone cylinders up to 42′ in length and 18″ in bore.
- Finish to as low as 4Ra.
- Work on steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and bronze.
Select Fluid Power’s honing services follows ISO standards for calibration to ensure you’re receiving the quality and service you need for your business. Our services are ISO:9001 and ISO:14001 certified, meaning we provide you with the same quality every time regardless of the size of the cylinder.
Quick Turnaround Time
Our honing services are available 7 days a week to ensure that every job is completed as quickly as possible, reducing costly downtime. Save time and money with our full selection of in-house repairs from start to finish. Contact our team today to see how we can provide timely, effective solutions for all your hydraulic cylinder repair needs.